Friday, February 20, 2015

Empty Right

The surf has had some really good days this week, but for some reason, I felt like I needed to get some painting done.  I wish I had those feelings on windy blown out days when the surf stinks.  But for whatever reason, I painted.  And I finished something really good.  I like this painting.  It was from a shot taken by a good friend of mine who was nice enough to let me paint it.  

But even though I really like this painting, since it was done from a shot by someone else, I don't feel complete ownership of the painting.  Like its not all mine.  Charles Schultz never wanted to get ideas for his comic strip from anyone else.  Even when they were really good ideas, and they would have worked really well in his strip, he wanted the work to be all his own.  I didn't understand that when I read his biography, but now I do.  There is just something different about a piece of work that is all done by one person and is completely original.  

That being said, I still think this is a great painting, done from a great photo.  To see more photos from Will Sooter, check out sharpeyesonline.com.


"Empty Right"
Watercolor  - 15 x 22"

No comments:

Post a Comment